- How to Fix Discord Installation Error on Windows 10
- Method 1: Run Discord as Administrator
- Method 2: Install Discord in Safe Mode
- Method 3: Update Windows
- Method 4: Extract Discord EXE
- Method 5: Install .NET Framework
- Method 6: Temporarily Disable Antivirus (If Applicable)
- Method 7: Update Device Drivers
- Method 8: Uninstall Windows Update
- Method 9: Delete Remaining Discord Files
- Method 10: Reinstall Discord
- Method 11: Contact Discord Support
How to Fix Discord Installation Error on Windows 10
If you are also facing symptoms like your system cannot install Discord, here are the possible causes:
- Lack of admin privileges can create issues in installing Discord on your system.
- Not getting rid of corrupt files or abundant local data makes it difficult to re-install an app.
- Antivirus software can also create disturbance in installing any app on the Windows device.
- Absence of Microsoft .NET Framework is also fairly responsible for this installation error.
Following are the ways to solve Discord installation error.
Method 1: Run Discord as Administrator
For the uninformed, running apps as administrator in Windows unlocks extra privileges for the user. For instance, they can make changes in registry or access restricted folders. So, if Discord installation failed on your device, running it as admin may fix the issue.
1. Press the Windows key and type Discord.exe, and click on Run as administrator.
2. Choose Yes on the UAC prompt.
Method 2: Install Discord in Safe Mode
Apart from the antivirus installed on your device, other third-party apps running in the background can also cause this error. To avoid this, you can try installing Discord in safe mode with just these simple steps:
1. Click on Windows icon and search System Configuration in the search bar.
2. Go to Boot tab and Select Safe boot under boot options and press OK.
3. Now, select Restart to enter Safe Mode.
Once you’re in the Safe Mode, clear existing Discord app data using Method Delete remaining discord files as explained above and install the Discord app one more time.
Method 3: Update Windows
If Discord installation has failed Windows 10, you can try this method. App install errors generally occur when there are compatibility issues with the device. In such case, you can read our in-depth guide on How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update.
Method 4: Extract Discord EXE
If you are installing Discord for the first time on your device, this method is ideal. What you need to do is manually move a file to the Discord installation folder which can potentially help with the Discord installation error.
Note: You need an archive extraction app like WinRAR installed on your device to perform this method.
1. First download WinRAR and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
2. Right-click on the Discord icon and use 7zip to extract Discord Setup.
3. Now, right-click on Exe file and extract it.
4. It will have a file called Discord-0.0.309-full.nupkg inside it.
5. Now, open File Explorer by pressing Windows + E keys together.
6. Go to the following location path.
7. Now paste the Discord-0.0.309-full.nupkg and extract it.
8. Now navigate to \Discord-0.0.309-full\lib\net45.
9. Finally run the Discord.exe file to install the app.
This method comes handy for many users when Discord failed to extract installer.
Method 5: Install .NET Framework
Microsoft .NET Framework is used by developers at large to build desktop apps, websites, apps, services, and more. But if it is missing from your Windows laptop or PC then you might encounter an installation failed error. To install it you can read our guide on how to install Microsoft. NET Framework 3.5. Once you are done with the process, try installing Discord again.
Method 6: Temporarily Disable Antivirus (If Applicable)
Many Windows 10 users reported that they were using McAfee on their systems and disabling it solved the Discord installation issue. If you were also using antivirus to protect your system from potentially dangerous files, you can follow our guide on How to Disable Antivirus Temporarily on Windows 10.
Also Read: 9 Solutions to Fix Discord Krisp Not Working
Method 7: Update Device Drivers
Driver updates are essential for Windows users as they can help eliminate security tweaks, bugs, and boost overall performance. You can follow the steps mentioned in our How to Update Device Drivers on Windows 10 guide to resolve the Discord installation error
Method 8: Uninstall Windows Update
If you have recently updated your Widows and then the discord installation has failed Windows 10 started to appear. Then, you can uninstall Windows Update to resolve the error. To uninstall the Windows update follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Launch Settings with Windows + I keys shortcut.
2. Click on Update & Security.
3. Now go to View update history.
4. Click on Uninstall updates from where you can select a particular Windows version and uninstall it.
Also Read: Fix Discord Not Detecting Battle Net Problem
Method 9: Delete Remaining Discord Files
1. Launch Task Manager by hitting the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously.
2. Right-click on Discord process under Processes tab and select End task.
3. Now, open File Explorer by pressing Windows + E keys together, paste %AppData%/ path in the address bar, and then delete the Discord folder.
Once the process completes, try installing Discord again and check if the issue has been resolved.
Method 10: Reinstall Discord
Windows users are recommended to uninstall a program from Control Panel if it was already installed in the system earlier. If this step is not followed, your device is likely to throw an error which can also lead to other issues. Although some apps allow users to download multiple versions, this step makes things hassle-free.
1. Launch Control Panel by typing in the Windows search bar.
2. Then, click on Programs.
3. Next, click on Programs and Features.
4. Find Discord in the list of programs and choose Uninstall.
Finish the process by restarting your Windows 10 laptop.
5. Then, open the Discord website and click on Download for Windows.
6. Now, when the file is downloaded, click on the DiscordSetup.exe file to install it on your system.
Finally, launch Discord to check if Discord installation has failed Windows 10 error is solved or not.
Also Read: Fix Discord Stuck on the Connecting Screen
Method 11: Contact Discord Support
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How do I fix Discord installation failed?
Ans. To fix this issue, you can try the above-mentioned methods and find out what suits best to you.
Q2. Why can’t I install Discord on Windows 10?
Ans. Maybe the problem lies within your device so try clearing cache files and corrupt data.
Q3. Why is Discord broken on my PC?
Ans. It is possible that apps or games are running in the background and thus, causing Discord to not install properly. Another reason could be damaged files and viruses.
- Fix Google Play Store Error Code 403
- Fix Windows Update Error 0x80071160
- 7 Best Fixes to Discord 1006 Error on Windows 10
- How to Appear Offline to One Server in Discord
Discord is one of the most loved platforms being used by people of all ages to chat, share, and engage with the community. However, the app may cause headache once in a while for some users. Luckily, you now know how to get rid of Discord installation error and get things back on track. If you have any queries or suggestions then feel free to drop them in the comment section below.