It’s a well-known fact that both PlayStation 5 (PS5) and PlayStation 4 (PS4) offer unmatched gaming experiences to millions of players worldwide. Even though both have their own unique features and capabilities, compatibility between controllers adds convenience and flexibility, especially if you own both. In this article, we will explain if you can use a PS5 controller on PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS4 Slim.
Table of Contents
Can You Use a PS5 Controller on a PS4?
According to the official PS5 FAQ page, you cannot use its controller with PS4. The PS5 controller known as the DualSense controller, offers enhanced features and functionality designed specifically for the console. It is not compatible with any other generation of PlayStation.
However, there is an alternative method using Remote Play that may allow you to connect and use a PS5 controller on a PS4 to some extent. It requires the use of a bridging device may it be a Windows PC or Mac. Follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Install the PS Remote Play app for Windows and Mac on your PC.
2. Turn on PS4. Connect it to the internet and sign into your PlayStation Network account.
3. Now launch the Remote Play app.
4. Click on Sign in to PSN and follow the on-screen instructions.
5. After the login process is complete, click the PS4 icon on the right.
The software will make an attempt to connect to the PS4 system as a result.
6. Once the app and PS4 are connected, plug the PS5 DualSense controller into the PC using a USB-C cable.
That’s it. You can now use the controller and play your game.
Also Read: How to Access PlayStation Plus 14 Day Trial
How to Connect PS5 Controller to PS4 Without PC
If you do not have a PC and still want to connect and use a PS5 controller on PlayStation 4, these are a few methods you can follow:
Method 1: Remote Play App on Phone
You would need a PS5 console for this method. If you do not have access to it, you can try the next method instead.
Note: Before we begin with the process, make sure the phone and the PS5 console are on the same internet connection and Bluetooth is turned on in the phone.
1. Install the Remote Play app and sign in to your PSN account.
2. Hold the console and control buttons on the PS5 controller for 3 seconds until the LEDs start blinking.
3. In the Bluetooth settings, link the PS5 controller to the phone using Bluetooth.
Now, it’s time to set up the Remote Play app on the PS4 for which we need to put the console into rest mode.
4. Press and the PlayStation power button on the controller and choose Enter Rest Mode.
5. Connect the console to the internet and log in to your PSN account.
6. In Settings, click on Remote Play Connection Settings.
7. Click on Account Management and select Activate.
8. Now, in the Power Save Settings, select Set Features Available in Rest Mode.
9. Enable Stay Connected to the Internet and then click on Enable Turning on PS4 from Network.
Method 2: Using Bluetooth Adapter
As we said, if you do not have a PlayStation 5, this method can help you.
1. Plug in a Bluetooth adapter in the PS4 console.
2. Turn on Bluetooth on the adapter.
3. Press the PlayStation button and the Create buttons on the DualSense controller. As the lights start blinking, pair it controller with the adapter.
That’s it. You can now use the PS5 controller on PS4.
Some of our recommended adapters would be:
As PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim, are variations of the PS4 console, you can also connect a PS5 controller to these consoles using the above-mentioned methods.
We hope our guide was helpful to you in understanding whether can you use a PS5 controller on a PS4 or not. If you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to let us know in the comments section below. For more such tips and tricks, stay connected to TechCult.