Screen recording can be defined as a process by which you can capture or log any activity you are doing on your PC or mobile screen without a watermark. In the world of laptops, PCs, and mobiles, as a professional, you need to make lessons and tutorials, create product-related videos, give demos and make an informed decision and share with others. This requires knowledge of the best Screen Capture Software to do justice to your work. For Screen recording, it is not essential to have online connectivity. There are both, offline and free screen recording software for Windows 10 that do not require a Wifi connection and online screen recorders that require stable internet. In this article, we have listed the best free screen recorder for Windows 10 PC.
- 15+ Best Free Screen Recorders for PC
- 1. ShareX
- 2. Camtasia
- 3. TinyTake
- 4. OBS Studio
- 5. Movavi Screen Recorder
- 6. Screencastify
- 7. FlashBack
- 8. Screencast-O-Matic
- 9. Icecream Screen Recorder
- 10. Debut Video Capture
- 11. Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder
- 12. Filmora Scrn
- 13. Bandicam
- 14. ScreenFlow
- 15. AceThinker
- 16. Apowersoft Online Screen Recorder
15+ Best Free Screen Recorders for PC
Before we delve further into the various free screen recorder for PC, we must understand which factors are deemed necessary to be considered while selecting the best screen recording software or tool? Just for a quick reference, one should consider factors like:
- ease of use,
- editing functions,
- capture options,
- cost towards license fees if applicable,
- hardware and software requirements of the screen capture tool,
- updates/support policy and
- complete review of the company offering the software.
Keeping the said factors in mind, we have tried to list below some of the best and easiest to use Screen Recording Software for Windows as a ready reckoner.
ShareX is an open-source, ad-free, highly advanced screen recording tool that possesses many custom features for various developers and editors as detailed below:
- It enables full-screen recording.
- The hotkeys feature helps quicker, faster, and easier surfing on the web.
- It can also upload recordings directly on Youtube and other forums on the web.
- It enables water-markings and color effects with the help of tools like screen color picker, image editor, QR code generator, etc.
- Its in-built photo editor enables you to customize still photographs.
- It also enables saving files such as GIFs.
- it can also capture text using OCR.
- It supports both Linux as well as Windows operating systems.
Camtasia is a good screen recording tool that allows the recording of audio and videos one after another. It is considered amongst the best screen recording tools for the following reasons:
- It enables screen capturing using a webcam.
- It also enables downloading of videos, music, photos, and PowerPoint slides directly from the web.
- It supports Windows, iOS, and Mac operating systems.
- It enables recording audio and videos from a desktop or other device.
- It enables adding captions and taking help from others to make professional-looking videos.
- It also helps to independently edit each audio, video, and cursor track frame by frame on a PC.
- This inbuilt video editing tool allows you to create quizzes and other related activities and add them to your videos.
- It even offers vast music and audio library.
Also Read: 28 Best File Copy Software for Windows
TinyTake screen recording software by MangoApps is sophisticated software that is fast-acting and captures images and videos, sharing them with others in a minute. It is considered in the list of the best Screen Recording Software for Windows for the following reasons:
- It allows you to choose, create, and assign custom shortcut keys.
- The software supports both Windows and Mac operating systems.
- It enables capturing an image of the entire screen or any specified area of the screen.
- It enables you to record streaming videos on your screen for more than 120 minutes.
- It enables adding captions and taking help from others.
- It enables you to zoom in or zoom out on any video.
- It enables storing on the cloud and has an online cloud-based gallery.
- It also offers bulk sharing of stored files on the web.
- It can partially blur a screenshot to hide any sensitive data from the screenshot.
- It is compatible with all kinds of devices like smartphones, etc.
- It enables the highlighting of images using colored pens and images.
- The software can be edited using textbox, arrow, or picture caption.
4. OBS Studio
OBS Studio open-source, powerful screen recording software for Windows is rated to be amongst the best screen recorders for Windows due to the following attributes it exhibits:
- It enables high-definition streaming as well as the recording of videos and can capture HD videos at a frame rate of 60 frames per second.
- It does not limit the length of video being recorded or streamed.
- It is free of advertisements.
- It enables both the options for either part screen or whole screen capture.
- It enables the flexibility of direct recording from your graphics card.
- It enables live streaming on YouTube, Gaming, and Twitch.
- You can customize your recording and set up multiple scenes.
- Its built-in audio mixer with pre-source filters helps produce smooth and soft-sounding videos.
- It does not add any identifying image, shape, or text that overlays the document as a watermark.
- OBS Studio is supported by Windows and Mac, as well as the Linux operating system.
- It enables the conversion of footage into FLV format.
- It can easily switch between images and texts.
- Windows captures, browser windows, webcams, capture cards, and more using custom transitions.
5. Movavi Screen Recorder
Movavi Screen Recorder, a lightweight screen recording software considered to be amongst the best screen capture software because of the following features/traits:
- It enables screen capturing using a webcam.
- It is a lightweight, easy-to-use tool that can take screenshots, cut and join different video clips.
- You can also separately record any voice or sound using a plug-in microphone.
- It enables video recording in absentia.
- It also enables a range of settings, like volume and frame rate @ 60 frames per second when taking a screenshot.
- It also enables freedom to schedule your recording.
- Movavi allows your computer to auto shut down or sleep.
- It enables you to save webcam/ screenshots as HD videos and GIFs. These HD videos and GIFs can be saved in AVI, MP4, MOV, and MKV formats.
- It enables uploading these GIFs and videos on Google Drive or YouTube or sharing with friends and relatives.
- It supports both Windows and Mac OS.
- It charges a nominal lifetime license fee of $59.95 for use on one computer. While it only allows 5 minutes of recording time during the trial period.
Screencastify, though a chrome extension, can also be used as screen recording software for Windows 10. It is one of the best screen recorders for PC due to the following attributes:
- It enables offline recording of videos.
- It auto uploads video files to Google Drive or downloads and saves them on your computer.
- The toolbox has simple editing tools.
- Screencastify can also enable cursor settings.
- It supports MP3 & MP4 formats and enables you to send videos to others.
- You can also perform a video or desktop recording separately and record any voice or sound using an additional plug-in microphone.
- It allows free video recording up to a maximum of 5 minutes but for unlimited restriction-free recording, you need to pay a nominal amount of $49 per annum.
- It has a mouse spotlight click highlighting function to get the attention of its user.
Also Read: How to Cut Video in Windows 10 using VLC
FlashBack screen recording software for Windows is ideal for recording games and is considered one of best free screen recorder for PC due to the following attributes:
- It can easily capture any screen footage using a webcam.
- It allows the use of distinctive but customized watermarks to your videos.
- It offers multiple options like zooming and panning enabling scanning of the whole screen, a specific window, or any specifically defined area.
- It has a well-designed, easy-to-use interface.
- It also has built-in captions, images, arrows, and highlights.
- It auto hides passwords that are typed while working on a PC’s screen.
- It enables you to change the wallpaper of the PC’s screen. Moreover, it helps to hide confusing and sloppy desktop icons.
- It highlights the mouse.
- The recorder can work online.
- It enables you to export files in MP4, GIF, WMV, QuickTime, AVI, and Flash formats.
- It enables downloading of files from the net only in FBR format.
- It supports Youtube and Windows.
- It enables recording from more than one monitor.
- Though some of the tools are paid-only, it has a 30-day free trial after which you are required to $49 per PC or $74 for use on two computers.
Screencast-O-Matic easy-to-use free screen recording software is considered in the list of best screen recording software for Windows 10 due to the following reasons:
- It enables capturing of any area of the screen using a webcam.
- It enables downloading of videos, images, and audio from other devices.
- It gives users the freedom to record as many audio or video clips.
- It enables you to trim, draw or add captions.
- It also enables you to zoom in or out of a video.
- in addition to Windows, it also supports Mac, Google Chrome, and iOS operating systems.
- They edit computer audio and synchronize the edited files with their respective videos.
- Screencast-O-Matic enables direct sharing of videos from the PC on to Youtube.
- It allows quick sharing of tutorials.
Also Read: 16 Best Ad Blocking Extension for Chrome
9. Icecream Screen Recorder
Icecream Screen Recorder software for Windows is considered to be amongst free screen recording software for Windows 10 because of the many custom features detailed below:
- It is fast recording software.
- It is an easy to use, open-source, highly advanced, ad-free software.
- It enables full-screen 3D game recording.
- It enables capturing audio clips.
- This allows capturing of screen footage using a webcam.
- It is compatible with YouTube, Google Drive, and Dropbox.
- It enables you to copy screenshots or recordings to the clipboard.
- It enables video editing and you can cut or delete any part of the video.
- It also enables you to slow down or speed up your screen recordings.
- It enables you to export files in different formats.
- It enables you to hide desktop icons, cursors and even disable screen savers.
- It enables the flexibility of addition of any watermark of your choice.
- It enables the use of hotkeys and set timers for different screen recordings.
- It enables the addition of mouse click animations.
10. Debut Video Capture
Debut Video Capture Software for Windows is amongst the best free screen recorders for PC because of the following features as detailed below:
- It enables capture of any screen using a webcam while allowing recording from other external devices.
- It does not fix any length or time limit for the video.
- It enables you to capture your entire screen.
- It enables you to schedule your recordings.
- It enables its use as a security camera too.
- It does not place any watermarks on your recordings.
- It enables you to add your captions and apply filters.
- It enables you to capture screenshots in PNG or JPG.
- It also enables you to preview the added effects.
- It does not have an editing tool.
- It enables you to save your recording in multiple formats like MP4, MOV, WMV, AVI, etc.
- It enables you to show or hide your cursor or use your cursor as a pointer.
- It enables audio recording using an external microphone.
- It enables picture-in-picture formatting.
Also Read: How to Photoshop Convert to RGB
11. Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder
If you want to record a presentation, software demonstration, or tutorial, consider Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder. It is also one of the best free screen recording software for Windows 10 because:
- You may capture video from your desktop or a camera, and record audio from your PC, microphone, both, or none.
- You have the option of recording the entire screen, manually selecting a region, or selecting one of the preset resolutions.
- It also has keyboard shortcuts that may be customized for speed and convenience.
- You have the choice of recording the pointer or not recording the pointer.
- It enables you to make tiny changes to your video before exporting it in the format of your choosing.
- You may also add comments during the recording.
- Choose from a range of output formats, such as MP4, WMV, AVI, MOV, and more.
- You may save the recording as a video or GIF, upload it straight to YouTube or Vimeo, or email it to Google Drive or Dropbox.
12. Filmora Scrn
Filmora Scrn is a popular and dependable best free screen recorder for PC among gamers.
- It allows you to simultaneously record gameplay, camera, computer screen, and audio with no time limitations.
- It enables you to photograph fast-moving situations. It can record at speeds ranging from 15 to 120 frames per second.
- You may also use the application to add text notes to enhance the viewing experience of your viewers.
- To make your cursor stand out, you may change its size, colour, and form.
- It has the ability to record in HD and even 4K.
- Because the screen recording software incorporates a range of editing options to help you fine-tune your recordings, you won’t need a separate video editing application.
- It accepts files in more than 50 different formats and allows you to export your recordings in a variety of formats, depending on your requirements.
- It is available for free download or buy for $29.99.
- It’s compatible with both Windows and Mac.
- It also allows you to simultaneously record the screen from two devices.
Also Read: How to Fix NVIDIA ShadowPlay Not Recording
Bandicam is a sophisticated free screen recording software for Windows 10 that can record both the screen and the games.
- It maintains video quality despite using a high compression ratio.
- Capture of 4K ultra-high-definition video at 120 frames per second is possible.
- Videos may be recorded through IPTV, HDTV, APPLE TV, cellphones, PlayStation, and Xbox.
- Users may take screenshots in JPEG, PNG, or BMP formats.
- It can capture everything from your full computer screen to Excel spreadsheets, web browsers, Powerpoint presentations, and more.
- Because the videos in the free version include a watermark, you’ll need to subscribe to a premium account to get the most out of it. It may be downloaded for free or purchased for $39.99.
If you’re seeking a Mac screen recorder with audio capabilities, you’ll love ScreenFlow. It is one of best free screen recorder for Mac PC.
- It can, among other things, record your Mac at retina resolution, organize video components and settings, and add background audio to the recorded movie.
- For a recorded segment, the Styles function stores visual/audio settings for particular elements like drop shadows and colour filters.
- On the other hand, its Templates feature allows users to plan ahead of time and organise, insert, and define groups of annotations such as text placeholders and outro segments.
- Subscribers to the Super Pack edition additionally gain access to over 500,000 unique pictures and audio snippets that they may use in all of their films. It costs $129 to buy.
- It works on both Mac and iOS.
- It enables you to create high-resolution retina movies.
Also Read: How to Fix Discord Screen Share Lag
AceThinker is a web-based free screen recording software for Windows 10 that is easy to set up and use.
- You can use it to record a specific part of your screen or the full screen, make real-time modifications for a more interesting video, and capture noises from your microphone and computer all at the same time.
- MP4, MOV, and API are just a few of the popular video formats that you may convert and keep your recordings in.
- AceThinker also allows you to rapidly post your recordings to Dropbox, Google Drive, or YouTube.
- All of these features are included in the free version of the program, but if you want more features, you may upgrade to the PRO version for $39.95.
- Scheduled screen recordings are the main feature of its PRO Version.
- If you want to record a live broadcast in the afternoon but don’t have an internet connection at work, you may install this screen capture tool on your home computer, schedule it, and let it do the work for you.
- It works on both Mac and Windows.
- You can keep track of soccer events, stock market developments, and so forth.
16. Apowersoft Online Screen Recorder
Apowersoft is a free online screen recorder as well as an app that can be downloaded for offline use on your PC. A few noteworthy features include:
- With a simple 3-step process, it is quite easy to use.
- Moreover, it offers a written as well as digital User Guide on the homepage itself.
- Just like other tools, you get the option to either select a customized area, or the whole screen or web-cam video.
- It allows you to record all types of activities on your screen such as video stream, live chat and tutorials.
- You can export videos to MP4, WMV, AVI, FLV, MPEG, VOB, ASF and GIF formats.
- This online recorder doesn’t limit what you record and for what duration. So, its a win-win!
- Fix Microsoft Store Not Installing Apps
- Fix Screen Mirroring Amazon Firestick Issues
- 28 Best Free Photo Editing Software for PC
- 8 Best Fire TV Mirroring Apps
From the list of the above best free screen recorders for PC, we have seen their multiple functions like used for capturing our PC screen activity, for training by professional trainers like teachers, etc, and also used by gaming enthusiasts to share their gaming experiences with others. The list does not end here as there are other Screen recording software for Windows like Bandicam, Cam Studio, Spring suite, Filmora Scrn etc. If you know any screen recorder app that you use and love, let us know via the comment section below.