The French social media platform, BeReal brings a new messaging feature called RealChat. The platform announced the news on its website.
The users will have the ability to engage in one-on-one messaging with their friends, where they can exchange private content comprising photos without any time limitations.
Key Features of RealChat
- To ensure privacy, BeReal users can only initiate conversations with friends who are already connected on the platform.
- Additionally, users can express their reactions using RealMoji, which are custom emojis specific to the BeReal platform.
- The chat will incorporate essential features such as blocking and reporting options.
- Although users have the option to delete their messages, it’s important to note that the messages will still be visible to their friends.
- However, if both users in a chat choose to delete the messages, BeReal will delete chats from their system within 30 days.
However, the only downside to it is that chats are not end-to-end encrypted.
In its announcement of the news, BeReal shared, “Today we are excited to announce RealChat. Now our users have a space to privately and authentically share and react to each other’s BeReal, share a unique BeReal to stay connected with their close friends, or just have a conversation and react using a RealMoji.”
Despite its relatively recent establishment in 2020, BeReal experienced a significant surge in popularity last year as an Instagram alternative. The app successfully got the attention of Gen Z and millennial users by offering a refreshing and unfiltered perspective on social media. The app now has more than 20 million active users.
As BeReal brings a new messaging feature in RealChat it will be interesting to see how its users react to the new feature. Although the app claims to have strict norms for data privacy, chats not being end-to-end encrypted does raise some eyebrows.
Source: BeReal Announcement