Apple is reportedly planning to add smart display features to locked iPhones with iOS 17. The new feature would allow users to see information such as the weather, calendar appointments, and notifications when their iPhone is locked and positioned horizontally.
The feature would be similar to the smart display features found on devices like the Amazon Echo Show and the Google Nest Hub. These devices allow users to see information like the weather, news, and traffic updates without having to unlock their device.
Apple’s new feature would be a welcome addition for iPhone users who often leave their phones lying around on their desks or nightstands. It would allow them to keep up with important information without having to pick up their phone and unlock it.
The feature is reportedly still in development, so it’s not clear exactly what it will look like or when it will be released. However, it’s an exciting development that could make iPhones even more useful. Here are some of the ways you can use your locked iPhone like a smart display:
- View your calendar appointments: When your iPhone is locked and positioned horizontally, you’ll see a list of your upcoming calendar appointments. You can tap on an appointment to open it in the Calendar app.
- Check the weather: The weather widget will show you the current weather conditions and a forecast for the next few days. You can tap on the widget to open the Weather app.
- View your notifications: When you receive a notification, it will appear on your locked iPhone screen. You can tap on the notification to open the app that sent it.
- Control your smart home devices: If you have any smart home devices, you can control them from your locked iPhone. For example, you can turn on the lights, adjust the thermostat, or lock the doors.
- Use your iPhone as a digital photo frame: You can use your locked iPhone to display your favorite photos.
Additionally, Gurman claims that Apple is working on a magnetic mount that you can use with the iPad in addition to bringing this capability to the tablet. This should enable the iPad to compete more effectively against the Google Pixel Tablet, which has a speaker dock that can also charge the tablet. Similar to the stand, you can set the tablet’s display so that it acts as a digital photo frame or displays a variety of smart home functions when it is docked.
Overall, Apple’s new feature to add smart display features to locked iPhones with iOS 17 is a welcome addition that could make iPhones even more useful. The feature would allow users to see important information at a glance, without having to unlock their phone. This could be especially helpful for people who often leave their phones lying around on their desks or nightstands. Apple is expected to reveal more details about iOS 17 at its Worldwide Developers Conference next month.
Source: Mark Gurman Tweet