ChatGPT captured the market of AI-powered language models too fast. Usually, it sails smooth dynamic interactions and responses. But sometimes, it also throws an unavoidable wrench in the gears. While millions of users converse with this tool daily, sometimes they experience an error that says ChatGPT is not working because of too many redirects. Let’s find out what causes ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS? and how to fix it.
Table of Contents
How to Fix ChatGPT Not Working Too Many Redirects
The error indicates that there are excessive redirects occurring, creating an endless cycle. Here are a few variations of the error that appear depending on the browser:
- Google Chrome: This page isn’t working. Chat.openai.com redirected you too many times.
- Mozilla Firefox: An error occurred during a connection to chat.openai.com. This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.
- Microsoft Edge: Vhat.openai.com redirected you too many times.
- Safari: Too many redirects occurred trying to open “vchat.openai.com.” This might occur if you open a page that is redirected to open another page which is then redirected to open the original page.
Tips: If possible, try using ChatGPT later in durations of less traffic, such as midnight hours. If not, you can switch to a different browser and log in to it.
Disable VPN and Re-login to ChatGPT. If that doesn’t help, clear ChatGPT cookies.
1. In the browser, navigate to the Settings menu.
2. Select Privacy and security on the left and then Site settings on the right.
3. Now under Recent activity, click on View permissions and data stored across sites.
4. Click on the Remove icon next to openai.com.
What Causes ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS?
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS occurs when a browser fails to load webpage content due to a redirect loop. This usually happens when a user tries to access a URL that points to a different URL which further redirects it to the former one and the cycle continues. It prevents the page from loading. Here are a few reasons that cause this:
- Server downtime issues
- Unstable Internet
- Outdated browser cookies or corrupt cache data
- Conflicts caused by certain services or outdated plugins
- Misconfigured redirects
Let’s compass into fixing it.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
We’ll begin some simple line of defense steps to restore ChatGPT to working condition before moving into more complex solutions.
Method 1A: Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity
Such discrepancies are often caused due to slow and unstable internet. Refer to our guide on Slow Internet Connection? 10 Ways to Speed up your Internet! to fix this.
Method 1B: Wait for Server Uptime
ChatGPT has a huge active user base. Sometimes the server might be too busy or under maintenance mode. Check theChatGPT server status page and in case of any discrepancies, wait until it’s fixed.
Method 1C: Relogin to ChatGPT
Logging out and then logging in to ChatGPT again can help fix minor glitches and start afresh. Follow the steps:
1. In the ChatGPT page, click on the three horizontal dots icon next to your name at the bottom-left corner.
2. Select Log out.
3. Click on Log in and enter the credentials.
Method 1D: Directly Launch ChatGPT Login URL
If you’ve been facing this error on the ChatGPT home page in the browser, we suggest you directly launch its login page to avoid the error. Log in to your account and start interacting.
Method 2: Disable VPN
VPNs can redirect you to different servers, leading to geographic restrictions, network errors, and further redirect issues. Disable VPN if the device is connected to one.
1. Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
2. In the Network & internet tab, click on VPN.
3. Toggle off:
- Allow VPN over metered networks
- Allow VPN while roaming
Also read: How to Integrate ChatGPT with WhatsApp
Method 3: Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus
Windows Firewall monitors the network traffic on the PC to safeguard it from potential threats. However, this could also be why ChatGPT is facing issues and is not working because of too many redirects. Refer to our guide on How to Disable Windows 11 Firewall.
If there is any third-party antivirus active on the system, refer to How to Turn Off Antivirus on Windows 11.
Method 4: Clear ChatGPT Cookies
ChatGPT stores data in the form of cookies to remember your interactions and preferences, in order to better understand your personalized requirements. Clearing them restores the functionality of the website.
Note: The following steps were performed on the Google Chrome browser. Steps for other browsers may vary.
1. Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots icon at the top right corner.
2. Click on Settings.
3. In the Privacy and security tab, click on Site settings.
4. Under Recent activity, click on View permissions and data stored across sites.
5. Click on the trash icon next to openai.com.
Now, check if it fixed Chat GPT not working too many redirects.
Also read: How to Build a Website Using ChatGPT
Method 5: Clear Browser Cache and Cookies
With time the cache data stored in the browser can become corrupt and cause the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS issue. Clearing browser cache and cookies can fix it.
1. Open Google Chrome and click on the three-dotted icon at the top-right corner.
2. Hover the cursor on More tools and click on Clear browsing data…
3. Select the Time range as All time.
4. Tick the checkbox next to
- Cookies and other site data
- Cached images and files
5. Click on Clear data.
Method 6: Update Browser
The error might also be the result of using an outdated browser as they are vulnerable to bugs and software glitches. Update your browser to resolve the issue. Follow our guide on How to Update Google Chrome Browser.
Method 7: Contact OpenAI Support
Lastly, if none of the above solutions helped resolve the issue, you can contact ChatGPT Support. Click on the Message icon at the bottom-right corner and then type a Message to the team informing them about the issue.
This brings us to the end of our guide on ChatGPT not working too many redirects. We hope helped you fix it. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do leave them in the comments box below. Stay tuned to TechCult for solutions to more such tech-related issues.